Paypal is a global (in over 200 countries) online payments or money transfer platform used by millions of business owners and individual freelancers on a daily basis. It’s very well organised, super simple and highly secure service which makes it so unique and widely used. Some of it’s features like Paypal.Me, Buyer Protection policy and the ability to upgrade or downgrade from Personal or Premier to Business account and vice-versa makes it a very versatile platform for any user.
I have been using Paypal since a long time and have changed my Paypal account from Personal to Business and from Business to Personal, a couple of times according to my needs.
If you think upgrading and downgrading Paypal account type is a headache, then you are at the right place. I will make it look like a piece of cake, all you need to do is follow each step like a 5-year old, sit back and get it done.
What is a Personal Paypal account?
What is a Business Paypal account?
If you are a business owner, you should upgrade to Business Paypal account. It’s a good practice to conduct transactions under a company name. It allows you to enjoy some extra benefits which includes allowing upto 200 employees to have limited access to your account and a customer service email alias for issues to be addressed as quickly as possible.
You can read this article on Chron Small Business, If you want to know more differences between the two types of Paypal accounts.
How to Upgrade or Change Paypal Personal Account to Business Account
In order to upgrade your Paypal account to Business or Premier account, you need to have a business since you will need to enter some details regarding that while migrating. Below is the set of simple steps by following which you can easily achieve the end result.
- First of all, login to your Paypal account by going to https://www.paypal.com/
- Once you are at the dashboard, find the gear icon (Settings) in the top right corner of the screen (check image below)
- After the page loads, scroll down to the bottom and find “Upgrade to a Business account” link and click on it
- On the next page, you will asked to verify that you are not a robot, so pass that Security Challenge and you will be redirected to the Business account sign up page
- Now select the type of Business you own from the given 5 options and click on “Continue“
- On the final page, enter your Contact Information, your Home Address, Registered Business Name, your preferred currency of transactions and finally click on “Agree and Continue“
- You are done! In a few minutes or hours, you will be notified via an email once the changes have been reflected to your account.
How to Change Paypal Business Account to Personal Account
Recently, I shut down my business and wanted to downgrade my Paypal account since there was no point sending and receiving money under the name that no longer exists. So I went on and figured a very easy easy way to do so. Follow the below steps to exactly get this done in just under an hour.
I have even included the images to make this process super easy for you!
- Login to your Paypal Business account and go to your dashboard
- Now go to this link: https://www.paypal.com/smarthelp/contact-us and click on “Account profile and set up“
- On the next page, click on “Upgrade or downgrade your account“
- You will be given links to some help pages on the next page, but you have to choose the “Email Us” option as shown below
- It will redirect to a page where you have to type in your query or doubt so that it reaches the Paypal Customer Support, just copy and paste the below text and click on “Send Email” and you are done!
I’d like to downgrade my account from Business to Personal.
It’s only matter of an hour or two, that you will receive an email confirming that your account status has been successfully changed. For me, it took exactly 35 minutes for this query to be resolved (check screenshot below).
If in case you don’t get a reply from Paypal customer support, you can either send another email or call customer support by telephone. Just go to the contact link I shared above and choose “Call Us” option, you will get a code along with the phone number which will be used for verification later on.
That’s all you need to know in order to successfully upgrade or downgrade your Personal or Business Paypal account. I tried to keep this guide as simple as possible and hope you were able to follow me.
If you have any questions or doubts related to this, Paypal or anything tech in general, please feel free to comment below. I will be happy to answer them, thanks for reading and keep visiting.