If you play a game on Steam, you probably have tried using the Steam voice chat to talk to your friends to try and strategise or plan your attacks, defence and other things. Whether you play CSGO, The Witcher, Dota 2 or any other game, once in a while you will be using the Steam voice chat. All you need is a mic to transmit your voice to the other end and a speaker or headphone to hear to what the other players are speaking.
I have heard from many of my friends that the Steam voice chat is not working for them and they have no idea why. I have a lot of buddies and we play CSGO & Dota 2 quite often using the Steam software. We have faced these problems like steam voice chat no sound, no one can hear me, can’t hear them, mic not working and the list goes on. In this guide, I will try to clear out all the doubts on why this error maybe occurring and how to fix Steam Voice Chat.
4 Ways to Fix Steam Voice Chat
It is possible that your Steam Voice Chat not working problem may be sticking due to different reasons. I will consider problems shared by my friends as well as what I have heard from users online and giving exact ways to fix those in the simplest way possible.
Fix 1: Sound Bar Moving, No Sound
- Click Start Menu > Control Panel > System > Device Manager and check that under sound you don’t have any missing drivers. Also check if all the bus drivers are downloaded.
- Once done, right click you Volume icon in system tray (bottom right corner of the screen) -> Playback Devices. Here you will see what device is currently used by default. Steam obeys these settings.
- Make sure you have Headphones “Set as Default Communication Device” if there are more than one active device
- Disable/Enable the microphone or speakers which you do not want Steam to use
- In the final step, right click on Headphones and “Test“
This will tell Steam to send the sound output to which peripheral device connected to your PC system.
Fix 2: Microphone on Steam Voice Chat hasn’t been working since GE latest update
A guy posted once that his in-game voice chat on Steam was working until he updated the GEForce Experience on his system. He reported that he could use Skype and other voice applications seamlessly but the Steam voice chat didn’t work at all. Later when he tried uninstalling GeForce, the voice chat on Steam started working again.
- A simple fix to solve this problem of Mic not working on Steam is to disable the Share overlay from the Share menu on Geforce Experience Beta 22.214.171.124.
- After doing this, you can test the mic from the voice settings of the game/steam.
- Hope your steam voice chat starts working after doing this. Watch the video below if you find it difficult performing this step.
Fix 3: Logged on another PC and Steam Voice Chat won’t work
If you have logged into your Steam account from another computer system, the Steam Voice Chat probably won’t work. This problem occurs because your Steam account gets connected to another PC/system.
- The only way to fix this is to change your password and re-login on Steam using your own computer system
- This will enable your Steam Voice Chat as this will disconnect the other device that logged in with your own ID
Fix 4: Mic not Working on Steam
One user reported that one day his group chat and voice chat on Steam just stopped working. He could enter the group chat but no response (only red bar) while using the voice chat. A different mic didn’t work on this system as well but the same mic worked on a different system. To solve this problem, you can:
- Try to go in steam and alter the settings. Voice chat might be disabled or maybe a Steam update that you might need to enable some Voice settings.
I hope you found this guide on how to fix Steam Voice Chat not working, useful and were able to make it work again. I have put a lot of research and put together all the solutions from personal experience as well as by talking to the users who faced this problem in the past.
Drop in your comments below if you are still facing problems and i will get back to you within a day with an appropriate answer. Do share this guide with your friends if you think it might be helpful. See you soon!