Looking to use Kodi on Xbox One console that you just bought? I admit it, I was too eager to stream all the Kodi content on my Xbox One when I got it. Here’s my full guide on how to install XBMC on Xbox One.
How well do you know your Xbox console? What if I tell you it’s much more than just a gaming console? Microsoft has embedded all the qualities of a media-playing centre and made it a great TV hub as well. This makes it a total entertainment package. Now on the other side, I am pretty sure you all must have heard about Kodi and it’s superb Add-ons which allow you to watch unlimited TV content online.
If I am not wrong, you already are imagining using Kodi on your Xbox One and enjoying all the content. There are several easy workarounds which you can use to stream Kodi content on Xbox One. In this guide, I am going to show you how exactly you can do it by following simple set of steps in order. So let’s get right to it.
- 1 Official Kodi App for Xbox One?
- 2 How to Install Kodi on Xbox One & Xbox 360
- 3 Adding Addons to Kodi on Xbox One or 360
- 4 Final Words
Official Kodi App for Xbox One?
There is NO official Kodi app released for Xbox One console. Considering the fact that it grew to this stage from Xbox Media Centre (XBMC) in the early days, this is quite a disappointing fact indeed.
Though there was an announcement at the Microsoft’s Windows Day event in February 2017 that a full UWP Kodi app will be released which will work on Xbox One & One S in the near future.
How to Install Kodi on Xbox One & Xbox 360
As we discussed above, we will be using the workarounds in order to get this done. Here are the 4 ways in which we will be achieving our motive:
- Using an Amazon Fire Stick
- Using a Raspberry Pi 3
- Using LocalCast app on Android
- Using a HTPC (with Kodi installed)
I will be now discussing each method in detail, make sure you choose the one that suits you best given the prerequisites and what devices you own or are comfortable with. You will find everything you need to know about the set-up for each method below so don’t bother yourselves about that.
1. Using Amazon Fire Stick
This method allows you to use Kodi on Xbox consoles in a very quality manner. The performance and usage will be top class and very easy. I have tried to explain the method in a very simple way, let’s go.
- A TV with HDMI ports
- An Amazon Fire Stick
- An Xbox One or Xbox 360 console
- HDMI cables
Once you have all the prerequisites, follow the below steps to run Kodi on your Xbox One console using Amazon Fire Stick:
- Download and install Kodi on Amazon Fire Stick
- Plug in the Fire Stick into the HDMI IN port and connect it to your Xbox One or 360 console
- On your Xbox One, go to Start >> Settings >> TV & OneGuide >> Devices >> Amazon Fire Stick (this will bring up the Fire Stick interface)
- Go to Settings >> Applications >> Manage Installed Applications and scroll down to & click on Kodi
- That’s it, now you will be able to use Kodi seamlessly on Xbox One or Xbox 360 by streaming any content using different Add-ons
2. Using Raspberry Pi 3 or 2
A Raspberry Pi requires a bit work on the set-up side but is also a very good way of using Kodi on the Xbox 360 or One console. I would advise you to use the Fire Stick method but if you already own a Raspberry Pi 2/3, there is no harm in choosing this method.
- A TV with HDMI ports
- A Micro SD card
- A Raspberry Pi 2/3
- An Xbox One or Xbox 360 Console
- Download and install Kodi on Raspberry Pi 3
- Plug in the Raspberry Pi 3 into the HDMI IN port and connect it to your Xbox One or 360 console (see image in method 1)
- On your Xbox One, go to Start >> Settings >> TV & OneGuide >> Devices >> Raspberry Pi 3 (this will bring up the Raspberry Pi interface)
- Find Kodi from the Applications menu and open it
- Start installing Add-ons to enjoy the different types of free content on your Xbox console
3. Using LocalCast App on an Android Device
If you are on a budget and if you already use Kodi on an Android device, you will be excited to know that you can stream Kodi to Xbox consoles totally for free using this method. There is a very easy way to do so using some apps. So follow the below steps to do it right now!
- ES File Explorer
- Kodi for Android
- PlayerCoreFactory.xml file
- Install ES File Explorer, Kodi & LocalCast app on your Android device
- Download the PlayerCoreFactory.xml file to your Android device using the browser, it should go into the Download folder on your device
- Open ES File Explorer, and go to settings and check the box to show hidden files
- Open the Download folder and copy the xml file that should be there
- Go to /Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/ and paste the xml file here
Once you complete all these steps, you are good to go. Whenever you play a video in Kodi app on your Android device, the LocalCast app will ask you to choose which device to stream it on. Check out the video below if you face any problems while performing the above given steps.
4. Using HTPC with Kodi app Installed
- Home Theatre (HTPC) with Kodi installed
- Plug the “HDMI OUT” from your HTPC into the “HDMI IN” on the Xbox One or Xbox 360 (as if your HTPC is your cable box)
- On the Xbox One console, go to Settings >> TV & OneGuide
- Choose “Antenna” as your TV line-up for your zip code
- It’s time to set up your TV, AV Receiver, and Cable Box now
- When asked for brand, input “hp” and enter your own code as “N1679“
- Now your Xbox One will start to send IRC commands to the HTPC
- Read this article for the complete guide to do EventGhost Remote to Key Mappings
Some Kodi Live TV settings to validate the mappings done in the above step
- Settings > Live TV > General > Use back-end channels numbers: ON
- Settings > Live TV > Playback > Start playback minimized: OFF
- Settings > Live TV > Playback > Confirm channel switches by pressing OK: ON
You’re done! Try any voice commands like “Xbox watch CBS” and it will tune Kodi to the channel. You are saving a lot of money and it’s all automated unlike the cable or satellite box users.
Adding Addons to Kodi on Xbox One or 360
Once Kodi is live on your Xbox console, the next thing you want to do is start adding Add-ons. What is Kodi without the Addons? No fun at all. You can start off by installing the legal Addons which are available in the official Kodi repository.
These include YouTube, Crackler, Twitch and OneDrive, as well as some services provided by cable TV networks, news channels and the Smithsonian Museum. You can also view or watch music and photos on Kodi.
There are tons of other Kodi Add-Ons as well which aren’t officially licensed but are super useful and fun to try. You can watch unlimited latest TV shows and movies with them and do a lot of other stuff.
I recommend you to use IPVanish VPN service if you use unofficial Kodi Addons (to play it safe).
A VPN will encrypt all of your data in and out of your home theater PC or even your entire house. It also relays your data through a VPN server which you can pick from all over the world or make it random. It works great without any drop in bandwidth plus it has a great UI which allows you to easily control the different settings as well.
That’s it from my side today. One thing to not here is that Xbox offers you Netflix & Amazon Prime but with Kodi on it, it can do wonders which you would have never imagined.
I hope you enjoyed reading this guide to use Kodi on Xbox One or 360 consoles. Feel free to drop below any queries you have or suggest me any topic on which you would like a guide on. I will be happy to hear from you. Do share this guide if you think is helpful. Cheers!