As you all know, Steam is a gaming platform where you can download games, play and even connect with other players around the globe. It provides a very unique online gaming experience indeed with super successful titles like CS:GO, Overwatch and other FPS games. All you need to do is create an account by choosing your Steam username and password and buying the game you wish to play.
Now the Steam name is a really cool thing as it can be seen by everyone. Being a pro CS: GO player, you obviously want it to be dope and feel like a boss, don’t you? So today, I am going to guide you on how to change Steam account name by following a simple procedure. I will also be sharing a tip on how to recover a forgotten username in Steam. So let’s get started!
What is Steam Username?
The username (or email) or login ID which you enter while signing up for creating a new account is your Steam username.
What is Steam Account Name?
It is the name that will appear on your public Steam profile. All the other players will be able to see it while you play games and while viewing your profile.
Can You Change Steam Username?
NO, you cannot change the login ID or username. It’s a permanent and unchangeable element. However, you can change your display name super easy and often, it even shows a history of the last used names for each Steam account.
How to Change Steam Account Name (Steps)
The only changeable version of the name is the Steam account name. Here are the steps you need to follow in order to get it done in the quickest and easiest way.
- Launch Steam software on your computer system
- Click on “View Friends” List
- Next to your name there will be a (grey coloured) down arrow, click on that
- Scroll to the bottom and click on the option labelled “Change Profile Name…” (check below image)
- A dialogue box will open that lets you change your profile name, there are several other preference options in there which you can look at as well
Note: The below procedure also works in games too, so you can change your name during a match etc.
- Open up Steam Settings
- Go to the friends tab (if you are in-game, it’ll automatically start from Friends tab)
- Just update your name here and click on “OK” and you are done!
How to Recover Forgot Steam Username or Account
In order to retrieve the lost steam account, first of all you need to have Steam downloaded and ready to launch on your PC. Now just follow the below steps in order to easily find your Steam username and password.
- Launch Steam and go to the login page
- Click on the button saying, “Retrieve a lost account“
- Choose this option: “I forgot my Steam Account name or password“
- Click on Next
- Enter the email address connected to the lost Steam account and click on OK
- Open this link in your web browser: https://help.steampowered.com/en/wizard/HelpWithLogin
- Choose the first option saying “I forgot my Steam Account name or password“
- Enter the email address and click on “Search“
- Choose the verification method which you prefer
- Now re-launch Steam and go to the login page.
- Click the “Retrieve a lost account” button
- Select the “I know my account name” option and click “Next“
- You will be asked to enter your account name, select the email associated with the account
- Enter the verification code and answer the secret question.
- Enter the new password and you are done!
I hope this guide was clear to you all and were able to change Steam account name successfully. The bonus was to recover a lost steam username. It’s not an easy way to figure that out, so I thought including it would be a nice finish to this article.
Feel free to comment below with your questions or any ideas/suggestions. I will be happy to hear from you. Cheers and have a good day!