Do you own a Minecraft hosting server? If yes, then you are the owner and you have the right to run any commands or even ban or unban someone on Minecraft. As a server owner, there are a lot of responsibilities on you and the most important one, being to manage your player base in order to safeguard your community. If a player acts weird or not according to your plans, you can ban and un-ban him whenever you wish to. All you need to do is simply access the console or op ingame and you will be able to perform any actions.
There are a lot of occasions when you wish to protect your Minecraft server from unknown players or ban existing players. One thing to keep in mind here is that whitelisting a player is different than banning. Now if we talk about unbanning or allowing the player to access your server again, there are some easy methods to make this happen.
- 1 Different Types of Ban
- 2 How to Ban a Player in Minecraft
- 3 How to View Ban List
- 4 How to Unban a Player in Minecraft
- 5 Alternate Way to Unban Players in Minecraft
- 6 Final Words
Different Types of Ban
Before we head on to the procedure of how to ban or unban a player, you should be aware of the two different options to do so. I am listing them below so you know the differences between them and their importance:
1. Based on Player Name
When you ban a player using the name, you are basically preventing that player or that specific Minecraft account to be precise from accessing your server. What does this mean? It means that if that person creates a new account, he will be able to join your server.
2. Based on Player IP
When you ban a player using the IP, it will not allow the player to join your server even from an alternative account. Though this method has its shortcomings and fails if the user has a dynamic IP address.
In the same way, you can unban a player using the player name or player IP address. Both the methods work the same way as discussed above.
How to Ban a Player in Minecraft
Now that you know the different ways, let’s learn the commands using which you can ban someone from your Minecraft server. You can do this being either the admin (using console) or the OP or operator of the game (in game admin). Below are the commands to use:
1. Player Ban
- (Admin) In Control Panel Console Command: /ban playername (replace playername with the username)
- (OP) In Game Admin Command: ban playername (replace playername with the username)
2. IP Ban
- In Control Panel Console Command: /ban-ip IP (replace IP with the user IP address)
- In Game Admin Command: ban-ip IP (replace IP with the user IP address)
How to View Ban List
If you wish to view the banned players or IPs history, then you can do this by using a simple set of commands.
1. Player Ban
- (Admin) In Control Panel Console Command: /banlist players
- (OP) In Game Admin Command: banlist players
2. IP Ban
- In Control Panel Console Command: /banlist ips
- In Game Admin Command: banlist ips
How to Unban a Player in Minecraft
In the similar way, in order to unban someone on Minecraft, you can use the pardon command as an admin using the console or as an OP ingame.
1. Player Unban
- (Admin) In Control Panel Console Command: /pardon playername (replace playername with the username)
- (OP) In Game Admin Command: pardon playername
2. IP Unban
- In Control Panel Console Command: /pardon-ip IP (replace IP with the user IP address)
- In Game Admin Command: /pardon-ip IP (replace IP with the user IP address)
Alternate Way to Unban Players in Minecraft
There is an alternate way to unban or ban players if in case the above methods do not work. 99.9% they will, since it’s the standard way of doing so. Just in case they don’t, use the below method to add or remove the player name or IP based on the files.
- Go to Profiles
- Choose config
- Now go to banned-ips and banned-players.txt file
- Edit these files and delete the player ip and/or name, this will allow the player to join your server again
In this way you will be able to ban or unban a player in Minecraft from your server. I hope you were able to follow the above methods and successfully executed the console or ingame commands.
Do share this quick guide with fellow Minecrafters to help them and feel free to comment below if you have any queries or want me to cover a specific topic or solve any issues. Thanks for your time!